Tuesday, February 11, 2014

2013  A Year in Review, Tooting My Horn

Jersey Birdline posters ran a thread in January  First seen / Last seen which because of work I missed posting about.
Shortly there after a blogger posted how he likes to go find his own birds and not just chase other's sightings.
Well, I am not much of a chaser either but I do strive to find my "own" birds and contribute to the birding community.
Below is a review of the birds I found last year thru my own efforts: FOY is First of Year reported.
18 Northern Saw-whet Owls
 Orange-crowned warbler(s)
 42 Marbled Godwits
 Wilson's Phalarope - FOY at Heislerville and another in August at the Higbee dikes
 Western Willets FOY May
 Silver-phase Turkey's
 Hybrid Canada/ Something warbler. I'm still in the Townsend's warbler state of mind
 Olive-sided Fly...with lots of help from Linda Widdop
 Bell's Vireo - not eBird confirmed
European Golden Plover- not yet confirmed by the Records committee
Bairds sandpiper FOY
Buff-breasted sandpiper FOY
Lawrence's warbler
Golden-winged warbler
Philadelphia Vireo FOY
2 Rufous Hummingbirds
Selasphorus Hummingbird
White-crowned Sparrow juvenal Gambel's race
Clay-colored sparrow (2) not reported by others
Western Grebe  Dec - Sandy Hook first of the 2013-2014 winter season
Smith's Longspur. actually 2014 but hey
It was a great year for me and 2014 started w/ a BanG!
Many thanks to my friends who travelled parts of the journey w/ me






No comments:

Post a Comment